Monday, March 17, 2008

Pictures from Nenagh Past...2

Old Military Barracks, Nenagh
This imposing ruin began its role as a military complex in 1832 and was garrisoned by regiments of the British Army until 1922 when the Irish Free State was formed. The complex was briefly occupied by the Irish Army until 1924.

In the military arrangements of the time, it was one of nine military stations in County Tipperary. There were four for cavalry, at Cahir, Carrick-on-Suir, Clogheen, and Fethard; four for infantry, at Cashel, Nenagh, Roscrea, and Templemore (now the Garda training depot); and one for cavalry, artillery and infantry at Clonmel. The whole were capable of accommodating 139 officers and 2935 men.

A revolt which occurred here in July 1856 deserves mention as it may well be described as one of the most outstanding events in the history of Nenagh. The townspeople of Nenagh, then and now, are never found wanting when it comes to giving a name to an unusual occurrence or event. True to form, this particular revolt – serious though as it was - went down in history by the whimsical but appropriate name of the “The Battle of the Breeches”

The cause of the revolt was simple and, without going into too much detail, it occurred in a regiment of the North Tipperary Militia who were stationed here for training during the Crimean War. On their enrolment, the Irish recruits were promised a bounty but when peace was declared and the Government had no further use for them, they refused to pay the bounty.

When the order was given for the soldiers to give up their uniforms, one man refused to give up his black trousers whereupon he was immediately arrested and confined to the guard-house. The revolt that followed when his comrades tried to rescue him lasted several days and spilled over into the town. “The shops are all closed, business is suspended and the town appears like a place besieged”. The revolt was eventually quelled by force of arms and mediation and the Authorities agreed to honour its commitments.

No revolt or mutiny is without its consequences and in the ensuing General Court-martials, one ringleader was sentenced to death, five others to transportation for life and three more to 21 years transportation. The death sentence was later commuted to transportation for life and the eight others to ten and four years.

The latter judgement recorded the following against the officers in charge: “Had they not sought to cast off the Irish recruitss, hungry, penniless and naked, the mutiny would have never had an existence”.

I like this view of the old Military Barracks from my bedroom window. Mainly, because it is part of the history of the town.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog-- and you too Mr. Joe !!!! --I just returned to Indiana-- staying at my niece's home in Indianapolis for a week - for the Easter Holiday. Hope you had a nice St Paddy's day. I really had a very nice time at the Fl. bash-- but all to short- finally got warm and now back to the cold- with all the aches. lol See you in chat - in a few days Hugs Betsy

Anonymous said...

An updated look is wonderful Joe, and I love seeing all the sites and history , its no means boring I can`t get enough of Irish history and scenery, just great Joe thank you for sharing a little of your world..hugs

Rainee

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, I have visited your site many times but was never quite sure where to leave my comment.
As you know Joe that I adore everything about Ireland and the buildings and countryside. I get a lump in my throat when I see the pictures of Ireland that you have so lovingly taken time to place on your site. There is something magical about your country that I find draws me to it.
Your site is not boring and I do visit and read about your American visit and friends and look at the beautiful pictures of them all.
You are so lucky Joe to have made friends with these lovely people over the internet.
Anyway remember I am always looking in to see your updates and really find that your efforts at this site are well done.

Kind regards
sylvianne

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe have just come in again to read some more.
sylvianne

http://dreamcatchersparadiso.spaces.live.com/

Anonymous said...

Brayhead
______

In Eire`s Co Wicklow
In the year of 62
I scaled the sugar mountain (bray head)
And have beautiful memories too.
A cross at top I wrote my name
engraved it oh so deep
That winds and sun cannot destroy
Forever there to keep.
I smile as I remember
How the beautiful Irish sea
Mingled with the shades of green
As the sun shone down on me.
As I stood in awe at beauty
That have never seen again
I wish I was back in Wicklow
Just sweet seventeen back then.
©
sylvia gray